Friday, January 11, 2013

Is there a parenting book for this?

I am sure this is the first of many times I will wonder if there is a parenting book some where on some shelf in some book store that would give me the PERFECT thing to say when one of my kids throws me a curve ball. This by no means was a big curve ball, just a cute and innocent conversation my 6 year old daughter, Lorenn, started yesterday when she got home from school.

Me: "So how was school today Lo?"
Lo (with her hip cocked out to the side leaning on the kitchen counter like she's 16 y.o.): "So I just thought you should know mom that I am dating some one!"
Me (trying to remain calm and think of what a "cool" mom would say in response): "What exactly does that mean when you are dating someone?"
Lo: "It pretty much means me and like 60 other girls chased a boy named Charlie on the play ground today trying to kiss him!"
Me: "Lo I think you are a little young to be kissing boys."
Lo (rolling her eyes): "Not on the lips, just like this" and proceeded to rub her cheek on my shoulder.

It was a fun, sweet and innocent conversation that makes me smile each time I play it back in my head....but it only makes me dread the day when she IS 16 and tells me she IS dating a boy and all the REAL questions that may come with that...Only motherhood can give you anxiety over something you aren't going to have to deal with for 10 years! Hopefully by then I will have found that magical parenting book at the store and will know just what to say!

1 comment:

  1. Love this! And I am positive you will have the perfect reply for Lo when the time comes.... and you will hopefully share what worked with me! You took my thoughts and put them down with words when you wrote..."Only motherhood can give you anxiety over something you aren't going to have to deal with for 10 years!" Glad I have such a great sis to discuss my anxiety with! Keep posting!!

    ReplyDelete