Tuesday, January 29, 2013

My momma's got class...

Today I watched my mom retire from her job of 25 years. They held an open house at her place of employment with the traditional cake and punch table, some silly pictures from years past and well wishes for her future days of not setting the alarm clock and fulfilling her bucket list. What I didn't expect was how many people came... many she had not worked with in years, girlfriends that have never worked with her but wanted to support her.

I knew there would be a point when someone would get up and say a few words....for some reason in these situations I get so emotional, even though it is suppose to be a celebration. Both of my mom's bosses spoke of her committment to her job, her helpful way with always trying to improve the work environment and how much she would be missed. Then my mom talked. I don't know why it impressed me so much because of course my mom is totally awesome but it was just a reminder of what a classy person she is. She maintained her compsure and was able to talk eloquently about her journey of 25 years while singling out people who had made a special impression on her. 

As I drove home I couldn't help but ponder how she balanced work and home life for so many years. Growing up my mom pretty much worked full time or at least full time during the school  year. She also worked full time at home keeping a clean house (laundry, grocery, gardening), being a dedicated wife, participating in activities with my sister and me. She always had endless energy and one of the biggest things I always noticed with my mom that I think separates her from the average employee...she never complained. Of course there were work days that were "busy"  but I have never heard my mom say that she was overwhelmed, or bark at my dad for more help around the house, or bitch about people at work not pulling their own weight or make us feel like our needs were stressing her. She just always seemed to enjoy what she was doing and that even if periods were rough she just took it in stride.

Listening to my mom talk and watching all the people wishing her well in retirement I was reminded of how classy my mom is....I can only hope I turn out to be half the woman she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment